Ford says stay-at-home order will need to be maintained until June 2

Elias Hubbard
May 14, 2021

The current measures were set to expire on Thursday May 20th.

"We're not out of the woods yet", Ford said on Thursday.

"Our hospitals are still under vast pressure". We must stay vigilant.

"These are precious weeks", he said.

Ontario's stay-at-home order will be extended until early June.

The premier blamed Ottawa for the third wave of the pandemic, suggesting a significant number of cases of the COVID-19 variants had entered Ontario through its land, air and water borders, a claim disputed by experts.

Ontario reported 2,320 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday and 32 more deaths from the virus.

Thanks to the collective efforts of Ontarians in following public health and workplace safety measures, the province continues to make considerable progress in the fight to control the third wave of COVID-19.

Outdoor amenities such as golf courses, tennis and basketball courts will be restricted, however, Premier Doug Ford says that after June 2, with the latest stay-at-home order set to expire, it's then the government will look into reopening outdoor recreational amenities.

The Atlantic province reported 16 new COVID-19 cases, along with 10 hospitalizations.

The province says they will work with public health units to offer both doses of vaccine to youth aged 12 to 17 by the end of August, in collaboration with school boards and other partners.

"Unlike in the past, we are in a different reality, we are in a vaccinated reality", he said. "That changes things tremendously".

"The federal government needs to protect us all from a fourth wave fueled by vaccine-resistant variants", Ford said.

Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health, has previously said he'd like to see new, daily cases in the province below 1,000 and overall ICU admissions to drop below 150 before public health measures are eased.

On Thursday, when asked about the 1,000-a-day target, Williams said that "I'm looking at a number well under 1,000 and we have to stay there". "With the variants of concern, the hospitalization rates is higher, the ICU rate is double, so we need to take that into consideration".

On Monday, Dr. Williams said he wants to see schools re-open before anything else, and "as soon as we can".

"We're there to continue to support Ontarians through this hard time in whatever ways are necessary", he said.

The government had hinted in recent days at prolonged restrictions, which will see all public schools and thousands of non-essential businesses remain closed.

Elliott, who received a first dose of the AstraZeneca shot herself, moved to reassure people who got that vaccine that they had made the right decision to get immunized. They are struggling with isolation. "And they will be devastated to hear this Stay at Home order has to be extended, yet again, because of Doug Ford's choices", Horwath said in a statement.

"People and families have to stay locked down because Ford refuses to do what the experts have been telling him to".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER