Ontario extends stay-at-home order, announces tighter restrictions

Ruben Hill
April 20, 2021

Alberta, however, declined, saying it was strapped itself, while the premiers of Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia indicated they were unwilling to share vaccines but were open to giving medical assistance if they could.

In a worst-case scenario, with no public health restrictions, that number could have been as high as 30,000 new daily cases.

There were 107,278 doses of vaccines against COVID-19 administered on April 16, which is down from 115,634 doses on April 15.

Ontario has reported 4,250 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, this represents a drop from the 4,362 cases reported on Saturday.

Yet it isn't clear whether the Ontario government has agreed to take the assistance, which was announced by four federal ministers during a news conference this afternoon.

"Unfortunately, we know in the short term we are not expecting to get the supply we require to do so".

Contagious variants of COVID-19 have lent more urgency to the vaccine rollout, with numerous provinces managing major outbreaks. The seven-day average for number of cases reported in the province is 4,370.

"As the third wave of the pandemic wreaks havoc on the healthcare and public health systems, healthcare providers, and patients, we are at a critical juncture where a truly national approach to combatting COVID-19 will make the difference between more or fewer lives saved", said CMA President Dr. Ann Collins in a statement Friday morning.

The rate of coronavirus infections in Canada's biggest province has reached an all-time high as hospitals warn they are close to being overwhelmed.

"We're losing the battle between the variants and vaccines", Ford said.

Travel will be restricted into Ontario from the provinces of Manitoba and Quebec with the exception of purposes such as work, health care services, transportation and delivery of goods and services or exercising Aboriginal or treaty rights.

The government says those who register for a vaccine will be contacted about booking an actual appointment after they've signed up.

Nova Scotia reported two new infections for a total of 42 active cases.

The city of approximately 8,000 went into lockdown Thursday when it identified its first case.

"I am concerned when I see photos of people who are clearly not socially distancing in parks", said Sylvia Jones, Ontario's solicitor general. As such, the reports can change and can differ from past case counts publicly reported.

"This new Provincial order that says "police can stop people & ask them what they're up to" stuff".

Ontario labs processed 56,852 tests in the past 24 hours, down from 64,304 the previous day.

Prince Edward Island is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 today.

Dr. Heather Morrison, P.E.I.'s chief public health officer, made the announcement in a news release Sunday. Heather Morrison says the new cases include a child under 10 years old who has been hospitalized, an individual in their 30s and a person in their 50s.

If Ontario continues on the same course, we could see nearly 30,000 new cases of COVID-19 a day by the end of May in a worst-case scenario.

The previously announced hospitalization has now been moved into intensive care at the QEH.

Ontario's new restrictions come as the province fights the third wave of COVID-19, fuelled by the variants of concern.

Ontario's virus-related death toll now stands at 7,698.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER