Iran Threatens To Cut Nuclear Deal Talks Short ''If Not Constructive''

Joanna Estrada
April 17, 2021

It is likely to raise tensions as Iran negotiates with world powers in Vienna over a way to allow the United States back into a nuclear agreement and lift the crushing economic sanctions it faces.

The attack on Sunday, suspected to have been carried out by Israel, has inflamed a shadow war between the two nations.

The burning issue is that the US should come up with a concrete plan to lift sanctions, and based on this, Iran should comprehensively resume the implementation of the JCPOA, Wang Qun, Chinese envoy to the United Nations and other global organizations in Vienna, said at a meeting of the Joint Commission of the JCPOA in the Austrian capital.

Natanz: Will nuclear plant attack derail Iran deal diplomacy?

Trump's successor, Joe Biden, said on Friday that the shift in Iran's uranium production was "unhelpful" but he was pleased Iran was still willing to engage in indirect negotiations on the U.S. returning to the 2015 deal.

The decision pushes Iran closer to reaching the 90% enrichment level that is considered weapons-grade.

Wang called on all parties to the deal to remove all disturbances and speed up the negotiation process to hash out an arrangement for the US and Iran to resume compliance with it.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, which monitors Iran's nuclear program, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Earlier this week, it sent its inspectors to Natanz and confirmed Iran was preparing to begin 60 per cent enrichment at an above-ground facility at the site.

Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful, though the West and the IAEA say Tehran had an organized military nuclear program up until the end of 2003. In one shot, a TV reporter interviewed an unnamed technician, who was shown from behind - likely a safety measure as Iranian nuclear scientists have been assassinated in suspected Israeli-orchestrated attacks in the past.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday during a cabinet meeting that Iran had no problem negotiating a return to the 2015 nuclear agreement, but would do so "according to its own logic".

But the Islamic Republic now has no such ships in its navy.

Friday's announcement marks a significant escalation of tensions in the Middle East and casts doubt over the chances of finding any middle ground on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal.

The 2015 accord between Iran and six nations - Germany, China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States - is now under discussion among representatives in Vienna.

The weekend attack at Natanz was initially described only as a blackout in the electrical grid, but later Iranian officials began calling it an attack.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER