Premiers Postpone Rejoining Atlantic Bubble Until May

Joanna Estrada
April 15, 2021

The Council of Atlantic Premiers has made a decision to postpone the reopening of the Atlantic Bubble for at least another two weeks.

King says the COVID-19 situation in the rest of Canada has worsened considerably in the four weeks since the region's premiers considered reopening the bubble on April 19.

"While we're seeing more variant cases being identified in the province, it's important to understand that most of these cases are related to travel and they are strictly adhering to the public health measures", said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia's chief medical officer of health, in the release.

The Council says the two-week delay will allow the provinces more time to deal with localized outbreaks and continue the rollout of vaccinations.

Numerous caes have been resolved, the province said in a news release Wednesday.

"The variant cases are a reminder of the importance of following all the public health protocols", said Premier Iain Rankin.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 2,154 Nova Scotia tests on April 13. Beginning at 8 a.m. Thursday, all visitors to Nova Scotia from New Brunswick will have to self-isolate for 14 days.

Anyone who has travelled from anywhere except New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador must self-isolate for 14 days.

The premiers will meet again during the last week of April to discuss the status of the COVID-19 outbreak, and whether a further delay to May 10 is required. These were previously reported cases.

The province's chief public health officer, Dr.

New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs told reporters earlier in the day that the reopening of the bubble likely won't wait until all the residents of his province have been offered at least one dose of vaccine, which he said should happen by the end of June.

The first Atlantic bubble was established in July 2021, but was abandoned in November as cases began to increase across the region.

New Brunswick reported four new cases of COVID-19 Tuesday: one in the Saint John region and three in the Edmundston area, which is under lockdown.

There are 11 active cases throughout the province - two in Eastern, nine in Western - with no hospitalizations.

One of the cases is in the province's Central zone and is related to travel outside of Canada.

The affected person is self-isolating and data shows this is the only confirmed active case of COVID-19 in Yukon.

- By Keith Doucette in Halifax with files from Sarah Smellie.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER