Coronavirus: New Zealand temporarily suspends entry of travellers from India amid surge

Marco Green
Апреля 8, 2021

The Auckland man had complained of a sore throat four days ago but continued to work over Easter at the Grand Millennium Hotel before getting tested. No locations of potential infection have been released yet and the man lives alone.

NZ Director of Health Ashley Bloomfield believe the case is linked to arrivals to the country from India, which has seen 17 positive cases in isolation.

Melbourne/Wellington: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Thursday announced that New Zealand will temporarily suspend the entry for all travellers, including its citizens, from India for about two weeks from April 11 due to a surge in COVID-19 cases among visitors to this country.

In a statement this morning, Tourism Australia managing director Phillipa Harrison said she hopes New Zealanders will make the most of the two-way travel bubble and enjoy being the first global travellers back to Australia.

'We have an obligation to allow residents to return home'.

So far more than 80 per cent had been vaccinated, Ardern said.

While arrivals from India had triggered the risk assessment, Prime Minister Ardern said the Government would be looking at risks posed by other COVID-19 hotspot countries, the New Zealand Herald reported.

"As one of our closest neighbours and largest inbound markets, we have long held strong tourism ties with New Zealand, so we are really excited to be exclusively welcoming our friends from across the Tasman back to Australia", she said.

Dr Bloomfield said the answer was likely to be logistical issues.

But I also feel a sense of responsibility and obligation to find ways to reduce risks that travellers are experiencing, she said.

'I'm confident that our procedures are very good'.

This comes as New Zealand and Australia have agreed to start a bubble from April 19th.

He says there's no plans to stop the route yet as it is the only way home for many Kiwis living overseas.

In addition to the new local case, New Zealand has also reported 23 new positive cases in overseas travellers now in managed isolation.

Health teams would use the time until April 28 to try and plan safer ways to accept travellers from India.

Australians heading to New Zealand will be kept separate from other global arrivals who are still required to go into mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days.

However that time had now run out, Ardern said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article