Ford government to impose another stay-at-home order

Elias Hubbard
Апреля 7, 2021

It is the highest daily tally reported in the province since January 17, when 3,422 new cases were confirmed.

"The seven-day average for deaths has increased by 7% over the last week to 15 deaths per day", Yaffe said, adding the positivity rate for COVID-19 testing hit a three-month high of 8.9%.

Health officials reported 3,215 new cases on Wednesday, a rise from 3,067 cases the previous day.

The province said 504 patients out of 1,397 people hospitalized are in the ICU with 311 of them on a ventilator. According to Ontario's latest COVID-19 modelling, students who are already disadvantaged have been disproportionately impacted by virus-related school closures.

With almost 50,000 tests completed over the past 24 hours, the province reported a positivity rate of 6.7 per cent - a drop from 8.9 per cent on Tuesday.

The Ford government is expected to announce a province-wide stay-at-home order today.

Ontario was under a less restrictive stay-at-home that began on January 14 and was lifted in Thunder Bay on February 16.

The premier hinted at new restrictions coming during a news conference on Tuesday.

Sources tell CKTB News if the order is brought in, it may include limiting in-store big box store purchases to essential goods only, such as groceries.

Vera Etches sent a letter to Dr. David Williams, the province's top doctor on Tuesday, saying the move was "necessary to prevent and mitigate large scale morbidity and mortality and irreparable strain on the health-care system". The premier is expected to make the announcement with more details Wednesday afternoon with the stay-at-home to begin at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

He said the government will be "very clear tomorrow".

The numbers used in this story are found in the Ontario Ministry of Health's COVID-19 Daily Epidemiologic Summary.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article