'One woman killed' as Myanmar police crack down on protests

Henrietta Strickland
February 27, 2021

Nevertheless, at least three protesters have died.

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US Ambassador to the United Nations, urged every member state to "use any channel available to tell the military that violence against the people of Myanmar will not be tolerated".

Uncertainty has grown over Suu Kyi's whereabouts.

The independent Myanmar Now website on Friday quoted officials of her National League for Democracy (NLD) party as saying she had been moved this week from house arrest to an undisclosed location.

Supporters of Myanmar's military have tussled with anti-coup protesters, as turmoil over the ousting of the country's elected government spills onto the streets.

Authorities applying "minimal force" More protests are planned for Yangon this weekend after a show of force on Friday.

More anti-coup protests took place in the main city of Yangon on Thursday. Several journalists were detained.

Police have increasingly enforced an order by the junta banning gatherings of five or more people.

Myanmar's capital Naypyidaw saw similar chaos, with protesters fleeing as stun grenades go off and riot police chasing them.

Earlier, the United Nations envoy to Myanmar Christine Schraner Burgener said she "strongly condemns" recent steps by the junta including "unacceptable" use of lethal force, and called for the worldwide community to press for a return to democracy.

At least three protesters and one policeman have been killed in violence at rallies against the coup.

Authorities have gradually ramped up the use of force to suppress dissent, using tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets to disperse some protests. 'I can't leave yet as the police are very near and firing into the air'. They fought back, detaining a number of people until police appeared to remove the alleged attackers.

In Myanmar's second biggest city Mandalay, thousands of anti-coup demonstrators were also violently dispersed when police shot at them - though it remains unconfirmed if live rounds were used.

Among those detained at a Mandalay protest was Win Mya Mya, one of only two Muslim members of parliament for the NLD, media said.

At the UN General Assembly, Myanmar's Ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun said he was speaking on behalf of Suu Kyi's government and appealed to the body "to use any means necessary to take action against the Myanmar military and to provide safety and security for the people".

"We need further strongest possible action from the global community to immediately end the military coup, to stop oppressing the innocent people. and to restore the democracy", he told the 193-member group, receiving applause as he finished.

Junta supporters wielding knives and slingshots clashed with anti-coup residents in Myanmar on Thursday, the first such showdown between opposing forces as the nation nears a month of military rule. People are demanding the elected leaders, including Aung San Su Kyi, be released from detention and their democracy be restored.

Delivering his final words in Burmese, Mr. Tun, a career diplomat, raised the three-finger salute of pro-democracy protesters and announced "our cause will prevail".

Reuters was not immediately able to contact the army for comment.

UN Special Rapporteur Tom Andrews said he was overwhelmed as he watched the ambassador's "act of courage".

Singapore said violence against unarmed civilians was inexcusable.

World Bank President David Mal pass said last week it was taking an "extra cautious" approach to Myanmar but was continuing to execute past projects, including emergency coronavirus relief.

The junta has repeatedly justified its seizure of power by alleging widespread electoral fraud in the November elections, which Suu Kyi's party had won in a landslide, and promised fresh polls in a year.

She has been placed under house arrest and charged with possessing illegal walkie-talkies and violating the country's Natural Disaster Law.

Khin Maung Zaw, a lawyer for Suu Kyi, had previously complained that he had been given no access ahead of a court appearance set for March 1.

"Then Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will be rid of her right of fair trial without a legal counsel".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article