JUST IN: Glastonbury 2021 officially cancelled due to Covid pandemic

Lawrence Kim
January 23, 2021

Michael and Emily announced on Thursday (21.01.21) that the rescheduled 2020 festival - which would have been the event's 50th anniversary - would not go ahead this year, due to the continued spread of coronavirus throughout the United Kingdom and the restrictions that are in place to fight the respiratory illness.

Smaller events could still happen if the government ensures organisers can access cancellation insurance, he said. "If we get as far as Easter and we still don't know that crowds can gather at festivals, however large or small, then we are in a catastrophic situation with this year's season", he said.

Glastonbury's cancellation has raised fears for other music festivals this summer.

His comments were echoed by Bestival co-founder Rob Da Bank, who tweeted that "festival season will happen in the United Kingdom this summer", adding: "Sadly Glasto is such a mammoth beast to plan it ran outta time".

Speaking to BBC Breakfast on Friday, Mr Reed said the United Kingdom was at a "serious point in the pandemic and festivals only want to return when it is safe to do so".

He added that festivals are now struggling to get insurance for coronavirus-related cancellations.

"We do need Government to intervene in this issue", he said.

"This regrettable but understandable decision is recognition that public health comes first".

In 2020, the jubilee event was supposed to take place, the 50th edition was supposed to host performances by Paul McCartney, Talor Swift and Kendrick Lamar.

'We are continuing to help festivals with the £1.5 billion Culture Recovery Fund, with many already receiving this support'.

The full statement explains that the father daughter team tried to "move Heaven & Earth" to make Glastonbury happen. For many music lovers the trip to worthy farm in Somerset is considered an annual pilgrimage.

But in their announcement yesterday, Michael and Emily apologised to fans as they confirmed they were forced to cancel the event once again.

The news was announced via the festivals social media channels, explaining that "With great regret, we must announce that this year's Glastonbury Festival will not take place." . "We are so sorry to let you all down", reads the message on the festial's Twitter account.

Following last year's cancellation policy, tickets will roll over to 2022 if ticket holders chose to keep their £50 deposit as a placeholder.

They added: "We are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!"

"We thank you for your incredible continued support and let's look forward to better times ahead".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER