Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier is official for UFC 257

Ruben Hill
November 22, 2020

Today, it was revealed by Dana White that McGregor has officially signed on for the fight, which means this is all going to go down at UFC 257.

McGregor signed his agreement to fight the former interim lightweight champion at UFC 257 on January 23, he told ESPN's Ariel Helwani on Thursday.

It was unclear at the time of the initial report whether the event will take place at the UFC APEX facility in Las Vegas or at the Flash Forum on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.

However, few took the pledge seriously, and McGregor continued to be linked to a possible cross-combat fight with Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao before the Poirier bout was confirmed.

Poirier, meanwhile, has fought at lightweight ever since he lost to McGregor in their 145-pound matchup back in 2014 when McGregor earned a knockout win at UFC 278. ESPN reported earlier in November that Poirier had already signed the bout agreement. McGregor relinquished both titles before attempting to defend them.

McGregor, 32, has held UFC titles in the featherweight and lightweight divisions, but he has been at odds with the promotion since a TKO win over Donald Cerrone in UFC 246 on January 18. McGregor won his next three fights, culminating in his 13-second victory over Jose Aldo to claim the UFC lightweight championship. Betting lines now see McGregor as a -220 favorite over his former foe Poirier (+180). UFC 257 on January 23 will bring the company back to "Fight Island" with a pay-per-view, and McGregor vs. Poirier will headline but will not be for any gold, per White.

An annoyed McGregor, who had previously announced multiple retirements before returning to the octagon, said in July he had retired after becoming frustrated at problems arranging bouts due to the Covid-19 pandemic and clashes with UFC.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER