Ford says Ontario's COVID-19 numbers 'moving in right direction'

Henrietta Strickland
October 29, 2020

Premier Doug Ford says the province's newest COVID-19 projections will show numbers "moving in the right direction".

"This cluster of COVID-19 infections serves as a reminder of the importance of physical distancing with anyone outside of your immediate household and wearing masks or face coverings in indoor public spaces", York Region Public Health said.

Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region were moved back to a modified Stage 2 of the province's reopening plan on October 10 due to their increasing rates of COVID-19.

This marks a slight uptick from Tuesday's report of 58 new cases.

Of Ontario's hot zones, Ottawa once again has the lowest number of new cases.

Toronto's mayor says he's asked the city's public health officials to come up with a plan for gyms to safely reopen.

The disease has claimed five more lives in the province, bringing Ontario's COVID-19 death toll to 3,108.

Last week, Ford said he would consider imposing the same stricter rules on Halton Region, which neighbours Peel. He later reversed course after local politicians pushed back against the possibility and the province's top doctor said more data was needed.

Hospitalizations remained largely the same - 312 in hospital, 71 in intensive care and 51 on ventilators.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER