Three new COVID-19 cases found in isolation

Elias Hubbard
October 19, 2020

Of the new cases, a third are imported or linked to known cases/clusters, while the rest are pending contact tracing.

The Ministry of Health have reported three new imported cases of Covid-19 today all of whom are in managed isolation.

Dr Bloomfield said the man was tested on Friday within hours of developing symptoms, and had self isolated as a precaution.

Because he worked as an engineer at ports, and had done work on ships that carried global crew, there was a "clear line of investigation" Bloomfield said. There are no active community cases of Covid-19.

He said authorities believed "the most likely source" of the infection came from a ship the man worked on in Auckland on October 12 and 13.

The three options being considered for the crew of the Ken Rei are to sail on to Auckland, where public health officials would then take charge, to disembark in Napier or to send health officials out to the ship by helicopter or another vessel.

"Those discussions are happening".

"After becoming unwell this week, they sought medical care".

He said the crew of the Sofrana Surville could have been the vector of transmission.

Another ship that the man was working on Wednesday is also under investigation to rule it out as a possibility. As we have seen with other cases, individuals can return weak positive tests if they have been infected earlier in the year. "But that's something we would work through with the ship, if it became an issue, to do what was best for ensuring and protecting the health of all crew members", Bloomfield said.

New Zealand has seen a total of 1527 coronavirus cases since February. Work was now underway to try and match the genome to other strains in the global database. There is no one in hospital with Covid-19 in New Zealand.

The crew from the Philippines had all stayed at an isolation facility while in New Zealand, Bloomfield said.

The ship has since left New Zealand, stopped at Noumea, and is now on its way to Brisbane. The ship in question arrived in New Zealand on October 15, far too late to have been involved in the infection of the Auckland engineer.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article