Owner of Cruise Ship Sunk by Beirut Blast Sues

Marco Green
August 8, 2020

Dozens are still missing after Tuesday's blast in the Lebanese capital that killed at least 154 people, injured 5,000 and left up to 250,000 without habitable homes, hammering a nation already staggering from economic meltdown and a surge in coronavirus cases.

More than 300,000 people were displaced, almost 150 killed and thousands were wounded.

The explosion was believed to be caused by almost 3,000 tons of stored ammonium nitrate that had been in a warehouse for six years.

They include port and customs officials as well as maintenance workers and their managers, Akiki said.

"You see a lot of Lebanese officials today trying to put the blame on others", added Yingst, who is based in Jerusalem.

Government launches investigation among mounting criticism of negligence.

A team of 22 French investigators has started work in Beirut to search for evidence and bodies from Tuesday's deadly explosion and help Lebanese authorities determine what caused it.

"We would be willing to consider such a request if we were to receive one".

Sixteen staff members at Beirut's port, the site of a massive explosion, have been detained over the deadly blast that devastated large parts of the city, a military prosecutor said Thursday. But many Lebanese say the responsibilty extends to the country's top leaders.

The country's economic crisis has crippled its ability to respond to the pandemic.

The state agency said the suit was the first of its kind and could pave the way for similar legal action in the coming days and weeks.

The U.N. human rights office is calling for an independent investigation, insisting "victims' calls for accountability must be heard".

The blast rocked Lebanon while the country is experiencing its worst economic crisis, including a dramatic drop in the value of the Lebanese pound against the USA dollar.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER