Aged care worker tests positive for coronavirus in Queensland

Marco Green
August 2, 2020

He has links to three people, two of whom are nurses, who work at an aged care facility in Brisbane.

The pair had dined at the coronavirus-stricken Apollo restaurant and tested positive to the deadly respiratory infection overnight.

Diana Lasu, 21, and Olivia Muranga, 19, each face one count of providing false or misleading information, as well as the more serious charge of fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment.

The aged care worker is the 3rd case of neighborhood transmission connected to the cluster, after among the ladies's siblings evaluated positive previously today.

The three women at the centre of the cluster allegedly lied on their border declaration passes when they arrived at Brisbane Airport from Melbourne, via a brief stopover in Sydney on July 21.

It comes as footage of Muranga ordering a cocktail at a Brisbane bar in the hours after she had a test for coronavirus was also aired by the show.

And I do apologise to those people for what is now going to have to do occur.

Retailers have since rushed to deep-clean shopfronts and staff will undergo testing after it was revealed the woman's husband had visited one of the southeast's largest shopping centres - Westfield Garden City in Mount Gravatt - on July 26 before he was diagnosed.

Qld Health on Friday evening issued a public health alert for anyone who attended a number of locations in the West Moreton and Brisbane South area to get tested for COVID-19 if experiencing any symptoms.

Inconsiderate behaviour could be the difference between Queensland maintaining control of COVID-19 and "completely losing its grip on the virus", Dr Young said.

The women are in quarantine and will appear at Brisbane Magistrates Court on September 28. "This is not productive at all", she said.

Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said police now had high confidence they had all the information about where the three women had been since their return to Queensland.

"We are fairly comfortable that that's probably where he's got it but we will do contact tracing for him now as to who he might have come into contact with".

New South Wales recorded 17 more cases.

The incident prompted Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to announce all Sydneysiders will be banned from entering the state from Saturday.

They returned to Queensland without declaring their whereabouts to officials. There is also a mad rush from NSW residents trying to squeeze past the border to beat the 1am deadline on Saturday.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER