Portugese police launch search for Madeleine McCann's body

Elias Hubbard
July 13, 2020

In addition to the police, firefighters have been called in to assist with the search; They are "looking for a body", reported the Portuguese radio station RTP.

The area is around 10 miles from the Praia da Luz resort, where Madeleine disappeared on May 3, 2007.

The largest is said to be more than 13 metres deep, thereby requiring the involvement of professional divers in the search.

Prosecutors in Germany announced they had a prime suspect, named as 'Christian B', and they believed that the little girl, who was three when she went missing, was dead.

McCann's parents Kate and Gerry have not commented on the new line of investigation.

While the German authorities are treating it as a murder investigation, British police are still treating Madeleine as a missing person.

He is also fighting charges that he raped a 72-year-old woman at the same resort where McCann disappeared.

"Christian B", is a convicted sex offender who is now serving time, and has been linked to a number of other missing persons' cases in Europe.

The pair denied the claims on the Find Madeleine website last month and said the news caused "unnecessary anxiety to friends and family and once again disrupted our lives".

Her family say they will never give up hope of finding her alive.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have not been told on what grounds authorities searched the wells, the paper said.

However, despite these claims and a current German homicide investigation, London Metropolitan Police have maintained the case is still a missing person investigation.

In the days after the renewed appeal, Scotland Yard said they received hundreds of tips to their Operation Grange team.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER