Man Dies From COVID-19 One Day After Regretting "Stupidity" For Partying

Henrietta Strickland
July 3, 2020

Macias, a truck driver, never married or had kids.

Two days later, Macias expressed his regret on Facebook, writing: "I f-ked up and went out a couple of weeks ago and I contracted the coronavirus". "This has been a very painful experience", his post continued, according to a screenshot taken by Lopez.

He finished with: "Hopefully with God's help I'll be able to survive this".

He died the next day.

A Riverside County Office of Vital Records official confirmed to NBC News that Macias died of COVID-19.

Gustavo Lopez, his brother-in-law, told NBC that from March until early June, Macias was following guidelines and only going out when necessary.

"He was quarantining because he was overweight and had diabetes", he said.

Macias took a test on June 16, which came back positive on June 18.

Included in the crowd was a friend, who Lopez did not name, who had tested positive for coronavirus and knew about the diagnosis. Following the get-together, another friend who had been there contacted Macias to reveal he had COVID-19 and "was aware" of this fact when he attended.

It was around that time that the infected friend informed people at the party of his diagnosis, prompting others to get tested.

At the very least, Lopez said, the friend should have worn a mask, a precaution that California mandated two days before Macias's Facebook post and that's now been embraced by leaders across the political spectrum.

Lopez said he was unsure how many people went to the party, but that Macias was among more than a dozen people who contracted COVID-19.

"You could hear him coming from a mile away when he was laughing", said Lopez, who was looking forward to moving 10 minutes away from her uncle next week. "He was really sweaty". A few days later, he found out a person at the party had coronavirus but was asymptomatic.

"This is no joke", he wrote to them. If you have to go our wear a mask and practice social distancing.

The 51-year-old, who suffered from diabetes, passed away on June 21 after he was rushed to the hospital when he experienced difficulty breathing, according to NBC Los Angeles. He was put on a ventilator sometime between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. and died by 9 p.m., Lopez said.

Even before Macias's death, Lopez said, "we thought that it was a mistake opening so soon. there's still no vaccine, there's still nothing to fight against this". It's serious, and it kills people'. His friends and family remembered him as a big-hearted man who was always willing to help others.

"He would do anything for everybody", Lopez said.

He is survived by his mother, two sisters, four nieces and two great-nieces.

"He used to say opinions don't matter", Lopez said.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article