Canada's 1st 'presumptive' case of new coronavirus discovered in Toronto

James Marshall
June 30, 2020

A man aged in his 50s, who was the first confirmed coronavirus case in Australia, traveled to Melbourne from Guangzhou on January 19. Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned that the spread of the deadly illness was accelerating.

The coronavirus transmission ability is getting stronger and infections could continue to rise, China's National Health Commission said on Sunday.

The source of the infection had not yet been identified, and "we are not clear about the risk of its mutation and how it spreads", he added.

Thailand has reported five cases; Australia has reported four; Singapore, France, Japan, Taiwan and Malaysia three; Vietnam, South Korea and the United States two apiece; and Nepal one.

On Sunday, China announced a nationwide ban on the sale of wildlife in markets, restaurants, and e-commerce platforms.

China says the virus is mutating and can be transmitted through human contact.

The man recently traveled to Wuhan, China, which is believed to be the epicentre of the outbreak. The advice was sent in a text message that went out to mobile phone users in the city on Sunday morning. The city also cancelled all official Lunar New Year celebrations and official visits to mainland China. Some 1372 people in China have been infected with the virus.

Some experts believe the virus is not as risky as the 2002-03 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that killed almost 800 people, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), which has killed more than 700 people since 2012.

Many cinemas across China are also closed with major film premieres postponed, slashing revenues.

The number of people with pneumonia caused by the virus topped 1,300 worldwide on Saturday, just as hundreds of millions of Chinese citizens set out on domestic and overseas trips at the start of the Lunar New Year holiday.

Hong Kong Disneyland and the city's Ocean Park theme park were closed on Sunday.

Walt Disney Co's Shanghai Disney Resort is closed. All flights from and to the city have been cancelled as well. Schools in Hong Kong that are now on Lunar New Year holidays will remain closed until Feb 17.

She has not been hospitalized as she has been exhibiting only minor symptoms and is staying in her hotel room, a ministry official said at a news conference.

The coronavirus has caused alarm because it is still too early to know how unsafe it is and how easily it spreads between people.

Airports around the world have stepped up screening.

Three research teams have begun work on developing potential vaccines, the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations said. Earlier on Sunday, the Chinese Global Times newspaper said that the death toll stood at 54.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER