Indian Government Bans 59 Chinese Apps, Including TikTok, Shareit

Joanna Estrada
June 30, 2020

" The Ministry of Information Technology, invoked it's power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009 and in view of the emergent nature of threats has made a decision to block 59 apps ( see Appendix) since in view of information available they are engaged in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order", as per an official statement.

The statement said the move was taken after several complaints were received by the ministry alleging theft of users' data and violations of user privacy.

The apps include video-sharing platform TIkTok, social media app WeChat, and UC Browser developed by a company owned by China's e-commerce giant Alibaba. India is TikTok's largest market, according to TechCrunch.

Another app falling in the MeitY's list is CamScanner, which is a popular solution for scanning documents in mobile phones.

An anti-China sentiment has been gaining mindshare in India in recent weeks ever since more than 20 Indian soldiers were killed over a clash in the Himalayas earlier this month. "This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace", the ministry said.

India's technology ministry issued an order stating the apps are "prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, security of state and public order".

The action comes over a week after Indian intelligence red-flagged dozens of apps as "unsafe", and affects several popular applications in the country, including TikTok and SHAREit.

Street protests took place in India following the deaths of the 20 soldiers and calls have been made to ban Chinese businesses which export nearly £49billion to India.

No firearms were involved in the dispute because the two nations hold an understanding that troops on both side of the border in the region will not use guns.

Monday's move appeared to be a outcome of the worst conflict between the two nations in more than 50 years.

Beijing has denied accusations from New Delhi that Chinese forces entered Indian territory.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER