Ontario reports 184 new COVID-19 cases, 11 more deaths

Lawrence Kim
June 16, 2020

These regions are in addition to the 24 public health regions that entered Stage 2 on June 12, 2020.

The Province of Ontario confirms there have been 11 more COVID-19 related deaths and 182 new cases as of Friday morning.

The government is expected to provide another assessment of those regions' progress next Monday. Sixty patients have been in intensive care, but none is now listed in ICU.

"I understand that we cannot pick and choose cities and towns within our region that could move forward to stage two while others are held back", said Dilkens.

The premier says all of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area except for Toronto and Peel region can move to Stage 2 of reopening on June 19.

The province has had over 54,000 cases and 5,242 deaths.

Almost 1,800 long-term care residents have died amid outbreaks, according to data from the Ministry of Long-Term Care, which is separate than the data on overall provincial case numbers.

Berto said that while no further information can be provided due to privacy issues, the company is taking the situation "very seriously" and is working with York Region Public Health. Public health officials have confirmed 181 new cases, bringing the total to 32,370.

The province says 438 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, with 103 being treated in intensive care units.

It includes 2,538 deaths and 27,431 resolved cases - 218 more than the previous day, continuing a trend of resolved cases growing more quickly than active ones.

Nearly a third of the Ontario nursing home residents who have died of COVID-19 were living at facilities owned by just two corporate chains, according to a Global News analysis of government statistics. The facility had been outbreak-free since mid-May.

The province had granted some health units permission to begin collecting race-based data voluntarily and some - including Ottawa, Toronto, Middlesex-London and Sudbury - had been doing so, but critics argued it wasn't enough.

Meanwhile, the tourism and culture minister announced Monday that she will embark on a provincewide tour to promote local tourism.

MacLeod estimated the sector in Ontario has taken a $20-billion hit.

"The last thing you need then is to have someone deciding they're going to travel Ontario at a time when people are being urged to be thoughtful about where they're going", she said.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER