Three West Indies cricketers turn down England tour

Ruben Hill
June 3, 2020

The trio, who all featured in the 2-1 series victory over Joe Root's side in the Caribbean a year ago, were not among a 25-man touring party named on Wednesday, with the statement from Cricket West Indies saying they "declined the invitation to travel".

CWI had assured the players previously that, with this the first worldwide tour since the global outbreak saw fixtures paused in March, they could sit it out without recrimination as regards future selection and reiterated this sentiment upon confirming Bravo, Hetmyer and Paul had taken up the option.

Despite still being subject to the British government's approval, England look set to finally get their home summer of cricket under way with the first clash against Jason Holder's men on 8 July.

Hussain, 52, told Sky Sports News the teams would have no choice but to create their own atmosphere in the empty venues, though other aspects of post-shutdown cricket would be harder to get used to.

"I am just glad that we are getting a chance to play cricket again". Playing in July could be a blessing as the weather is likely to be warmer which will allow the squad more of an opportunity to play its best cricket.

The biggest surprise was no place in the 14-man Test squad for Shannon Gabriel, who led the attack against England past year but has struggled since then, enduring an unsuccessful stint with Gloucestershire last summer and undergoing ankle surgery in November. The experience of the players who toured England before in 2017 will also benefit the squad greatly.

Harper is confident that his team will retain the Wisden Trophy. "His patience and application were evident", CWI's Lead Selector, Roger Harper said. He should enjoy bowling in English conditions.

The majority of West Indies players are eager to travel despite health fears and the fact that their salaries were cut by 50 per cent last month. Jermaine Blackwood returns by sheer weight of performance in the domestic First-Class season. Gabriel, who last played in a Test against India in August 2019, is making a return to the set-up after undergoing a surgery on his troublesome ankle.

As revealed by Sportsmail on May 17, the three Tests will be played at the Ageas Bowl and Emirates Old Trafford in a biosecure environment from July 8, pending Government approval.

West Indies are scheduled to arrive in Manchester on June 9 and will be based in Manchester for a three-week period before moving to Southampton for the first Test at the Ageas Bowl.

WEST INDIES TEST SQUAD: Jason Holder (Captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer, and Kemar Roach.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER