Charges ruled out for those involved in large Saskatoon gatherings

Henrietta Strickland
May 29, 2020

The provincial state of emergency was extended for two weeks.

Saskatchewan has completed 45,869 tests so far for the virus, up 751 from Wednesday.

Saskatchewan's chief medical health officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab, said at the province's daily briefing on Thursday that up to four cases are now connected to the gatherings, which exceeded the 10-person limit.

"It is being declared an outbreak as it involves of multiple different households with transmission linked to a large gathering", read the statement issued by the SHA May 27.

Public health orders now limit the size of public and private gatherings to no more than 10 people.

Shahab said as Saskatchewan continues to reopen, the public should consider other means of interaction to avoid further outbreaks in the province.

He did not disclose details of the gatherings, but health officials say close contacts are self-isolating.

"What this underscores, is that we can not go back to business as usual", said Shahab.

Across the province, 50 cases are health care workers (although not all may have sourced their infections at work), 253 are from the Far North, 168 are from the Saskatoon area, 112 from the North, 78 from the Regina area, 16 from the South and 12 from the central region.

Saskatchewan had a provincial total of 637 cases of COVID-19.

There are now 61 active cases - 46 of those in the far north. Most people reported to have tested positive for COVID-19 - 568, to be exact - have recovered. There are now four people in hospital with one receiving inpatient care in Regina and three in ICU in Saskatoon.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER