LTC HOMES: Canadian Forces members report cases of alleged abuse

James Marshall
May 28, 2020

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the reports the Canadian Armed Forces have released in long-term care homes are horrific. "They raised us, they built this country - they deserve better".

Ford called in military assistance last month for five long-term care homes dealing with COVID-19 outbreaks.

"It is deeply disturbing", Trudeau said.

Trudeau said he was saddened, shocked, disappointed and angry to learn about the incidents outlined in a report.

The Ontario government has extended its COVID-19 emergency orders another two weeks.

A report from the Canadian Forces detailed some extremely troubling allegations at five homes across the province.

UNIFOR President Jerry Dias told CP24 Tuesday that his union, which represents workers at a number of other homes in the province, has been advocating for a set number of care hours for each resident to be mandated through government regulation.

Legault's office said the premier will be available to answer questions about it at his daily COVID-19 briefing in Quebec City at 1 p.m.

Trudeau said there is no doubt more needs to be done for seniors in long-term care, and Ottawa will help.

The five Ontario facilities cited in the report are Orchard Villa in Pickering (69 deaths), Grace Manor in Brampton (11 deaths), and three Toronto homes: Altamont Care Community, with 52 deaths, Eatonville Care Centre, with 42, and Hawthorne Place, with 39.

Ontario Ministry of Health recorded as of Tuesday 26,191 COVID-19 cases and a reported 2,123 deaths to date.

Public Health Ontario reported 292 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, along with 32 deaths.

There are now 150 long-term care homes in Ontario experiencing an outbreak, out of over 620 homes.

When asked why the provincial government did not know conditions were this bad in these facilities, the premier maintained his government did not fail the system but rather "saved a lot of lives" through its recent actions.

The prime minister says he will be speaking with premiers about fixing problems at long-term care facilities, but stopped short of saying the federal government would take control away from provinces. "We need to do a deep, deep dive on this", he said, adding he is "not ruling out" possibly holding a full public inquiry, upgrading an existing pledge to hold a commission this September into LTC failings during the pandemic. "We will do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes", Ford said.

Quebec made the report public a day after Ontario released a devastating report by the Canadian military on the "gut-wrenching" conditions at the province's seniors' residences.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER