Police probe killing of store security guard over virus mask

Elias Hubbard
May 5, 2020

Warrants have been issued for three people involved in the killing: Teague Jr., 45, who was charged with first-degree, premeditated murder, possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a felon, and other crimes; Bishop, who was charged with first-degree, premeditated murder, felony firearm, and other crimes; and Teague, 44, who was charged with first-degree, premeditated murder and other charges.

Sharmel allegedly began yelling at Munerlyn and spit at him before he told a cashier not to serve her and subsequently told Sharmel to leave the store.

Larry Teague yelled at Munerlyn about disrespecting his wife and Bishop shot Munerlyn in the back of the head, according to Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton.

Three people have been charged with murder for the fatal shooting of Family Dollar security guard Calvin Munerlyn, 43, (above).

There are no punitive charges for disobeying the order but stores can refuse service to customers to protect the public and employees.

Last month, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer ordered that people had to wear a face covering in enclosed public spaces such as grocery stores.

"My friend Duper was killed for telling a lady she has to put a mask on to come in the store", he said, "which could save her life or the life of others".

Leyton said the woman, Sharmel Teague, 44, was wearing a mask but her daughter, in her 20s, was not.

She left in a red GMC Envoy and drove to the River Village Apartments nearby, Leyton said. Minutes later, cell phone records show Sharmel Teague made a phone call to Larry Teague, Leyton said.

During a Monday, May 4 press conference, Leyton said there is video surveillance of the altercation between the woman and Munerlyn.

Larry Teague and Bishop remained at large on Monday. "His wife is without a husband, and he's my sister's only child", Ramon Munerlyn said.

She soon returned with her husband, Larry Edward Teague, 45, and son, Ramonyea Travon Bishop, 23, according to the news release. He was rushed to Hurley Medical Center, where he died later Friday.

A $1,000 reward is available for information leading to their arrests.

Leyton said it's important the governor's order "be respected and adhered to, and for someone to lose their life over it is beyond comprehension".

"They are armed and risky", he said.

Genesee County Commissioner Bryant Nolden, is executive director of the Berson Field House, said Munerlyn was a "great guy". "This (death) was extremely senseless, over a mask". "He was doing something positive, which is something he always do", Ramon Munerlyn said. "All he did was provide for his family".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article