Khashoggi fiancé: stop Saudi takeover of Newcastle Utd

Ruben Hill
April 30, 2020

Sources at Sportmail with Saudi connections said that the Saudis will challenge the Qataris for the rights to show Premier League games once the current deal expires in 2022.

Whilst the deal is certainly opening up debates regarding the fit and proper person tests in place for Premier League ownership, it could be that Newcastle United are now just days away from one of the biggest days in the club's history. It is a deal that has been met with opposition from rights groups.

"The proposed acquisition is not just "business" for the crown prince and the Saudi authorities, but an attempt to evade justice and global scrutiny for an unconscionable act", said Cengiz's lawyer, Rodney Dixon QC.

"It would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Premier League Chairmen's Charter and the Rules of the Premier League, and the fundamental and honourable principles upon which they are based".

Asking why a Saudi fund would want to buy an English football club, her letter said "unless the Premier League pauses and looks seriously at the human rights situation in Saudi Arabia, it risks becoming a patsy - a willing dupe of those trying to sportswash their abysmal human rights record".

Khashoggi, a US resident and columnist for The Washington Post, went missing after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey on October 2, 2018. The report found "sufficient credible evidence regarding the responsibility of the Crown Prince demanding further investigation".

Saudi Arabia's trial of 11 suspects in the Khashoggi killing was held in secret and does not include the crown prince's top adviser at the time - Saud Al-Qahtani, who has been sanctioned by the USA for his suspected role in orchestrating the operation.

The fiancée of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is calling on the English Premier League to block the reported takeover of Newcastle United, asserting the completion of the deal would help fix Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's (MBS) reputation and make the league complicit in the "cover-up" of the 2018 killing.

The Newcastle takeover backed by the Saudi fund has inched closer to completion on Tuesday as documentation lodged with Companies House revealed that Bander bin Mogren, the chief operating officer of Saudi's Public Investment Fund (PIF), was added as the director of NCUK Investment Ltd on 9 April.

In a separate statement made via Twitter last week, Cengiz demanded the Premier League intervenes in the potential takeover to keep the Saudi leader out of sports in the United Kingdom.

The English top-flight was a signatory on a joint letter from soccer bodies, including Federation Internationale de Football Association, condemning the theft of broadcasting rights by Saudi-backed pirate network beoutQ.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER