Trump suspends travel from Europe in response to COVID-19 outbreak

Henrietta Strickland
April 2, 2020

The European Union on Thursday criticized the U.S.travel curbs, saying it was not consulted first before U.S. President Donald Trump announced them in a Wednesday night address to the nation.

The United States will suspend travel from Europe to the United States for 30 days as the fast-spreading coronavirus continues to grow. The new rules will go into effect Friday at midnight. "There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings, and these prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval, anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we're discussing", President Trump said.

If true, this would be a huge disruption to not only the transatlantic trade, but trade across the world.

In a round of television interviews, the Republican vice president said thousands more COVID-19 cases were expected in the United States, and that clamping down on European travelers was just part of the administration's strategy as USA cases swell. "Earlier, yes. Now, travel restrictions/screening are less useful", Bossert said. This program will request an increase of 50 billion USA dollars in funding for support.

The Trump administration so far has barred travelers from mainland China, where the virus originated last December, and Iran, which also has seen a spike in infections, from entering the United States.

"The coronavirus is a global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires cooperation rather than unilateral action", the president of the European Council, Charles Michel, and the president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen said in a statement.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER