COVID-19: Ronaldo, Ramsey, others agree to take Juventus wage cut

Lawrence Kim
March 30, 2020

According to the Serie A side, this will save the Italian outfit around 90 million euros for the rest of the 2019-20 financial year.

Juventus players and manager Maurizio Sarri have agreed with the club chiefs to take a four-month pay cut that will help the club save £80m.

Juventus revealed this in a statement made available on Saturday, March 28.

"The economic and financial effects of the understanding reached are positive for about Euro 90 million for the 2019/2020 financial year".

The Italian prime minister recently announced that football in the country has been suspended indefinitly due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Italy's top flight will not return until at least May 3, a date that could be pushed further back, with the nation recording the highest number of deaths at over 10,000 as a result of COVID-19.

Three Juventus players have tested positive for COVID-19: Daniele Rugani, Blaise Matuidi and Paulo Dybala.

The Juve squad, which includes Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey, will not be paid their full salaries in March, April, May and June. "Personal agreements with Sarri and the players will be finalised in the coming weeks".

That idea had been championed by Giorgio Chiellini, with the Bianconeri captain eager to see everyone connected with the club do their bit to aid a global fight.

"Juventus would like to thank the players and the coach for their commitment at a hard time for everyone", the club said in a statement.

The agreement comes the day after La Liga outfit Atletico Madrid took the decision to cut the wages of their staff, including the players, to ease their financial burdens.

German Bundesliga clubs Borussia Monchengladbach, Borussia Dortmund as well as champions Bayern Munich have also said their players will temporarily forgo some of their salaries.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER