Sean Payton's coronavirus scare is over. It started with 'racetrack' Twitter abuse

Ruben Hill
March 26, 2020

"I've been fortunate. You stay inside like everyone's doing, and you find ways to pass the time".

"I'm feeling ok", Payton said at the time. And unfortunately, my appetite didn't dissipate at all during that time.

The coach publicly announced on March 19 that he tested positive for coronavirus, becoming the first known person in the National Football League to contract the disease.

Continued Payton, "I've progressively got a little better each day - I haven't had too deal with respiratory issues".

Payton told ESPN when he was first diagnosed that he was one of the few cases of coronavirus that did not show the common symptoms, such as a high fever and cough.

Now he is trying to make sure others take it seriously. "Just picture everyone's got a hand grenade on 'em - how about that?"

"We're not invincible, and every one of us certainly can catch this thing".

"Prince Charles caught it today, right?" "So it doesn't matter if you live in a castle or you live in an apartment".

As we previously reported, Payton began feeling symptoms on March 15 and got tested the following day.

"My Twitter blows up".

"Hey, if I would have known I had this [COVID-19], I wouldn't have been at the races", Payton said.

However, the team still expects to use Hill as a rusher and receiver next season, so Payton said New Orleans will add another QB that will be active on game days (Twitter link via Duncan). "The race track was closed, I was there (with a) small ownership group".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER