Bahrain Grand Prix to be held behind closed doors because of coronavirus

Ruben Hill
March 8, 2020

It has been confirmed that the Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix organisers have suspended ticket sales for the upcoming race while they continue to assess how many spectators will be allowed to attend in the face of the Coronavirus outbreak.

The decision to cancel the vehicle race, which had been scheduled on 4 April, was taken "in line with the latest decrees issued by the Italian government", organisers said.

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation has strong health, safety and emergency management arrangements at each event and we are working in partnership with health agencies and affiliated government and emergency services organizations to address this issue.

"As an F1 host nation, balancing the welfare of supporters and race goers is a tremendous responsibility".

A notification from BIC on its website said it is committed to holding a safe and exciting Formula One Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix for local and global fans, and is working closely with all relevant Government departments, including the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Interior, to mitigate the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

It added: "Bahrain's own early actions to prevent, identify and isolate cases of individuals with COVID-19 has been extremely successful to date".

As of Saturday, Bahrain had reported 62 cases of the coronavirus in the country, with four patients already successfully recovering from the disease.

"We know how disappointed many will be by this news, especially for those planning to travel to the event, which has become a cornerstone event of the worldwide F1 calendar, but safety has to remain our utmost priority".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER