London COVID-19 patient attended conference with 250 people

Henrietta Strickland
February 15, 2020

Three days later on, the Chinese individual reached Lewisham Hospital in southern London on Sunday evening in the rear of an Uber taxi, in a significant violation of public health and wellness suggestions.

Public Health England confirmed the latest case on Thursday morning (NZ Time), CNN reported.

The highly contagious COVID-19 is raising concerns for large cities with public rapid transit systems.

'This is exacerbated by the fact that London is a transport hub, and the underground could provide a network to spread the virus quickly.

Dr Robin Thompson, of the University of Oxford, said: 'In general, if an initial case is in a densely populated area, then the risk of sustained person-to-person transmission following is higher. This is aggravated by the truth that London is a transportation center, as well as the Underground might offer a network to spread out the infection promptly.'.

Ben Travi, chief executive of Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust, said all staff who encountered the patient were traced. "The patient was later discharged and taken home by London ambulance service".

Elsewhere, two GP surgeries have been closed after patients with suspicious symptoms turned up unannounced.

The Ritchie Street Health Centre in Islington, north London, recently posted an alarming message on its website stating it would be closed "due to the coronavirus". What does it stand for?

The Ferns Medical Practice in Farnham, Surrey, is said to be undertaking a deep clean after a patient had come in after visiting "one of the affected coronavirus areas".

As of last month, 2,512 Britons had reportedly been infected with the virus.

Staff at the hospital said they were anxious the patient's behaviour could have led to some of them, and some of the patients in the A&E at the time, catching coronavirus.

Swabs are also being sent to labs in Cambridge, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The news comes after the businessman at the centre of the United Kingdom outbreak of coronavirus has said he is "happy to be home" after being discharged from hospital.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we temporarily suspended the account of the driver who transported the individual to the hospital, and we remain in close contact with Public Health England (PHE)".

The Uber driver's account is now suspended.

Earlier this week a British coronavirus "super spreader", who may have infected almost a dozen other people, was released from a London hospital after recovering from the deadly virus he picked up while in Singapore. But staff there also said it was unclear why, despite apparent contact with NHS 111, she still came in by taxi, given that the NHS telephone advice line would have called her an ambulance or advised her to go in a private vehicle.

In the rest of the world more than 400 cases have been confirmed across 24 countries.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article