More Passengers Just Landed In Canada After Leaving Coronavirus Quarantine In China

Elias Hubbard
February 14, 2020

Seven cases of the virus have also been confirmed in Canada, four of them in British Columbia and three in Ontario.

Including those on this flight and the first evacuation plane, which left Wuhan last week, almost 400 people are under a two-week quarantine at the Canadian Forces Base in Trenton, Ont.

The United States has now recorded its 13th case of the new coronavirus.

Another 200 Canadians who sought help to leave Wuhan, China are now back on Canadian soil.

"Canada is very concerned by the outbreak - and is closely monitoring its spread", said Minister of Foreign Affairs, Francois-Philippe Champagne.

They would have been taken off the plane and given medical assistance locally.

The passengers were thoroughly assessed by quarantine officers from the Public Health Agency of Canada soon after the plane landed, and they also show no signs of the novel coronavirus. More than 37,000 have been sickened worldwide and more than 800 have died, with the death toll now higher than that of the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003. "It will stop to refuel in Vancouver and then continue onward to Canadian Forces Base Trenton".

Outside of China, there are 319 confirmed cases (12 new) across 24 countries and one death.

In the meantime, Princess Cruises announced Monday that a Canadian is among an additional 66 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined in the Japanese port city of Yokohama, about 35 kilometres south of Tokyo.

However, eight Canadian Forces medical staff who accompanied the evacuees from China were released from quarantine Sunday.

She also released crew members who travelled with evacuees from Vancouver to CFB Trenton aboard a separate flight, after those evacuees left China on an American plane. Each room has its own sink but washrooms are shared and will need to be cleaned frequently to make sure quarantine protocols are followed, Tam said. Public health officials say the risk to Canadians remains low.

China reported a rise in new cases Monday, denting optimism that disease-control measures, including isolating major cities, might be working. However, the government has told Canadians living outside Hubei province whose presence is not considered essential to consider leaving. "I wanted to make sure we're all there for the families, for the people who are there".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER