DOJ Drops Investigation Against Andrew McCabe

Elias Hubbard
February 14, 2020

Federal prosecutors have declined to charge former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe - a frequent target of President Trump for his role in the Russian Federation probe - closing an investigation into whether he lied to the feds about his role in leaking to the media, his legal team said Friday.

The decision to spare McCabe criminal charges eliminates the prospect of a sensational trial that would have refocused public attention on the chaotic months of 2016, when the FBI was entangled in presidential politics through investigations touching both main contenders - Democrat Hillary Clinton and Trump, her Republican opponent. Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired McCabe after DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz made public a letter that suggested McCabe had lied under oath about leaking classified information to the media.

The White House declined to comment.

McCabe had filed a civil lawsuit against the Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, arguing that his dismissal was politically motivated.

Despite saying he was happy with the conclusion, McCabe called it an "absolute disgrace" that the DOJ and U.S. attorney's office took two years before they "finally drew the obvious conclusion".

A lifelong Republican who worked at the FBI for 20 years, McCabe played a crucial role in the bureau's investigations of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Russian interference in the 2016 US election.

McCabe has been a target of Trump's attacks since even before he was elected, after news emerged in the fall of 2016 that McCabe's wife had accepted campaign contributions from a political action committee associated with former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe during an unsuccessful run for the state Senate there.

McCabe questioned whether the decision to drop the investigation had anything to do with the ongoing fracas over Stone, a veteran Republican operative who was found guilty in November of lying to Congress, obstruction and witness intimidation.

Following that unprecedented intervention, all four line prosecutors withdrew from the case in protest, with one resigning from the Justice Department entirely.

"Like all Americans I've been greatly concerned by what I've seen take place in the White House and in the Justice Department, quite frankly, in just the last week", he said.

The 2018 inspector general's report faulted McCabe for leaking information to then-Wall Street Journal reporter Devlin Barrett for an October 30, 2016 story titled "FBI in Internal Feud Over Hillary Clinton Probe". The article recounted a particularly tense phone call between McCabe and a senior Justice Department official about the investigation. McCabe's attorneys released the letter on Friday.

In his ABC interview, Barr said Trump had never asked him to interfere in a criminal case. "I'm [going to] do what I think is right".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER