Streatham Terrorist Told 'Not To Be Naughty' By Dad Before Attack

Elias Hubbard
February 5, 2020

The archdiocese of Southwark, which runs St Bede's, confirmed that one of the school's employees was a victim of the incident.

Sudesh Amman was shot dead in the street in Streatham on Sunday.

The mother-of-one is "extremely lucky" to be alive after she was attacked shortly after drinking coffee with her family and friends at a cafe in Streatham High Road on Sunday.

Amman had previously been convicted of terror offences and was shot dead by police who were monitoring him.

She said she had spoken to him just hours before the attack to say he wanted some of her mutton biryani and when she last saw him days earlier he had appeared normal. She was also released from the hospital.

The police have uncovered downloaded material on Amman's computers and telephone about making explosives and carrying out terrorist attacks.

She sustained what police described as "non-life-threatening injuries", was discharged from hospital on Sunday evening and is now recovering.

It came as ministers were accused today of ignoring warnings from security chiefs almost two years ago about the release of risky extremists.

His attitude in prison was such that the authorities were concerned about his release and the risks he could present.

The government will be "announcing some fundamental changes, in addition to what we've already said, that we will do to deal with counter-terrorism and counter-terrorist offenders, " Patel said late yesterday.

Counter-terrorism officials have warned of the threat posed by militants unless the government couples prison sentences with effective de-radicalization programs. In a statement, the board said it would not "direct the release of an offender unless [it is] satisfied, taking account of all the evidence, that detention is no longer necessary for the protection of the public".

Home Secretary Priti Patel added the Government is working to shutdown legal "loop holes".

Amman had recently been released from prison, according to police, having been jailed for promoting violent Islamist material.

They will still have to be freed, however, when their sentences expire.

Emergency legislation will be introduced to end the automatic early release from prison of terror offenders, the government has said.

But the main focus of controversy today, amid the inquiry into the attack by freed terrorist Amman, was the disclosure by Mr Jones that ministers had failed to act on warnings given in 2018.

London mayor Sadiq Khan blasted the government for failing to tackle the issue after a terror attack by another recently released prisoner just over two months ago.

On Monday night the Metropolitan Police and the Crown Prosecution Service were facing questions over why they did not pursue the more serious charges, which could have resulted in a life sentence.

Gulled Bulhan, a 19-year-old student from Streatham, told Britain's Press Association that he witnessed the attack.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article