Newly-built hospital in Wuhan accepts patients infected with coronavirus

Marco Green
February 5, 2020

In addition to these shelter hospitals, Wuhan now has 46 hospitals and 61 fever clinics designated for treating those infected with the virus.

The fatality rate is almost three percent higher in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, where the virus originated, which has a rate of 4.9 percent.

While the Philippines, the US, Japan, Singapore and Australia have imposed travel restrictions, the United Kingdom has no plans to introduce a travel ban on foreign nationals who had recently been in China from entering the country.

The latest coronavirus is not the first to have caused global panic, as another member of the family, SARS, circulated the world from China in 2002-2003.

There are now 20,438 cases of the Wuhan coronavirus in mainland China, with close to 200 confirmed cases in other nations.

Hong Kong has also announced a coronavirus death, bringing the total fatalities outside of mainland China to two.

It said in a statement that while there are now no medicines authorized to detect, treat of prevent infections with the new virus it is "ready to support medicine developers with all available regulatory tools to advance and expedite the development of effective measures to fight and prevent the spread of this virus". It was built in just 10 days, its prefabricated wards equipped with state-of-the-art medical equipment and ventilation systems.

The hospital is one of the two makeshift hospitals dedicated to treating patients infected with the virus.

Chinese authorities have tried to stop the spread by instituting bans on movement in certain regions, and extending holidays to keep people away from schools and other large gatherings.

On December 30, Li texted his classmates that the Wuhan hospital had seen several cases of a SARS-like illness in patients that had visited a seafood market in the city.

The World Health Organisation said on Tuesday that it is still early in the outbreak, but coronavirus does not yet constitute a pandemic. More than 3,000 passengers and crew aboard a cruise ship anchored off the Japanese port of Yokohama were quarantined after a passenger tested positive for the virus. He traveled from Hong Kong to Wuhan on a high-speed train on January 21 and returned two days later after boarding another train at Changsha South Railway Station in southern China's Hunan Province.

She said Washington has "unceasingly manufactured and spread panic", noting that the World Health Organization has advised against travel restrictions.

The Diamond Princess returned to Yokohama after making port calls in Vietnam, Taiwan and Okinawa.

A woman wearing a protective face mask stands in front of a Chinese national flag and a Hong Kong flag outside government headquarters in Hong Kong, Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020. A team of quarantine officials and medical staff boarded the ship Monday and began medical checks of everyone on board, a health ministry official said, speaking on condition of anonymity in keeping with department rules. The patient is recovering, and his traveling companions so far have not been infected, the captain's announcement said. "I hope that the country can support Wuhan [more]".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER