Malaysia confirms first citizen case of novel coronavirus

Henrietta Strickland
February 5, 2020

A total of 141 people will be evacuated from Wuhan.

Malaysia has imposed an entry ban for Chinese nationals from Wuhan in a bid to stop the spread of the virus.

A Malaysian citizen who had not visited China has contracted the new coronavirus after traveling to Singapore, health authorities reported Tuesday.

Meanwhile, a second case was also confirmed by the minister, with a 63-year old Chinese national from Wuhan landing at KLIA on the 18th of January.

"At 3.50pm today, AirAsia flight AK8264, together with 12 crew and eight members of a task force, left from klia2 to Wuhan, China, to bring back 141 people", said Deputy Prime Minister Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, who is also the chairman of the National Disaster Management Agency, in a statement today.

"She is now is good health and has been allowed to return home", he said.

But he only showed symptoms on January 29, almost a week after he returned to Malaysia.

It was reported earlier that those with symptoms would be sent to hospital while those who cleared the screening would be sent to the monitoring centre which has been put under tight security.

In what is possibly Malaysia's first success story since the 2019-nCoV outbreak here, a four-year-old Chinese girl who was treated for the coronavirus in Langkawi has been fully cured.

The 133 passengers and crew were met, among others, by a Hazardous Material (Hazmat) team and Health Ministry personnel on the tarmac before being taken a short distance by bus to the Air Disaster Unit (ADU) at KLIA where the decontamination process and health screening took place.

The remaining 105 people on the flight are being held in a facility for 14 days, the incubation period for the virus.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER