490 dead, 24,324 cases of coronavirus confirmed on Chinese mainland

Henrietta Strickland
February 5, 2020

Three districts in Hangzhou - including the area where the main office of Chinese tech giant Alibaba is based - chose to allow only one person per household to go outside every two days to buy necessities, affecting about 3 million people.

City authorities also have placed rent controls on landlords, expressly forbidding them from renting their properties to people from "severely affected areas such as Hubei", if they have traveled home in the past few months.

In addition, residential communities will only be allowed to use one entrance and residents must present ID each time they come or go, Taizhou's government said on its official WeChat account.

Zhejiang - the eastern province in which these cities sit - has confirmed 829 cases, the highest number outside central Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak and where more than 50 million people are under lockdown.

Similar measures were imposed in Taizhou and three districts in Ningbo, with a total population of 9 million, days after the same was done in Wenzhou, home to another 9 million people. The wearing of face masks in public is mandatory and temperature checks are commonplace for those who venture outside.

China's national health commission said on Tuesday that the oldest person diagnosed with the virus is a 90-year-old, and that 80 percent of reported deaths have been of patients 60 years of age and older.

Most of the deaths have been in the Hubei province, which contains the city of Wuhan and where the virus was first detected in December. The city has been on lockdown for nearly two weeks.

The official Xinhua news agency reported Monday that a baby born last week to an infected mother had tested negative.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER