Sydney coronavirus scare as China heads into shutdown

Marco Green
January 25, 2020

Officials say there are now around 830 confirmed cases of coronavirus, and 26 people have died from the respiratory illness.

France said that three people had fallen ill with the virus - the disease's first appearance in Europe.

The rapid increase in reported deaths and illnesses does not necessarily mean the crisis is getting worse.

Coronavirus has killed at least 26 people and infected over 900.

The coronavirus, first identified in December 2019, originated in the city of Wuhan, China.

The newly-identified coronavirus has created alarm because there are still many unknowns surrounding it, such as how risky it is and how easily it spreads between people. She remains in the hospital mostly to prevent the spread of the infection to others, they say.

Medical staff have shared similar frustrations online, and as many as eight hospitals in Wuhan on Thursday began asking the public for help because its medical supplies are running increasingly low.

All of the patients admitted to the hospital had pneumonia, most had fever and cough and some reported fatigue. Videos circulating online showed throngs of frantic people in masks lined up for examinations, and some complained that family members had been turned away at hospitals that were at capacity.

"We are looking at no confirmed cases in the Bay Area and we are screening and receiving and we have increased staffing", said Pan.

About 25% of the cases reported by China are classified as serious, the World Health Organization said, echoing new findings published today (see related CIDRAP News story).

"No one really knows what is going on or how long this will last", he said.

Meanwhile, five locations outside of the mainland-Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and the United States-reported new cases, all apparently linked to Wuhan.

A second traveler returning to the USA from China has been diagnosed with the coronavirus that has sickened hundreds of people and prompted travel lockdowns in China, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the risk to the US public remains low but that it's likely more cases will be diagnosed in the coming days, as the virus appears to have a two-week incubation period.

State and national health officials on Friday announced steps to confront the global spread of a novel coronavirus that emerged in China last month, following the discovery of a second confirmed US infection in IL and 63 suspected cases - including two in Minnesota.

An annual Chinese New Year's celebration set for February 9 at Lansdowne Park has been cancelled because of concerns about large crowds and people coming to Ottawa from China to take part.

The project will "solve the shortage of existing medical resources" and would be "built fast [and] not cost much. because it will be prefabricated buildings", the Changjiang Daily said.

Shanghai's Disney Resort is temporarily closing, as are McDonald's restaurants in five cities.

In Jingzhou, a city just west of Wuhan also under lockdown, Wang Xin, visiting for the new year holiday from Shenzhen, told the Guardian that he was about to leave the city but started to feel sick on Friday and has now been told to isolate himself at home for 14 days.

Never miss the latest news from the Star. Most of the deaths and overall cases have been in Hubei.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER