Tennis stars fail drug tests

Ruben Hill
January 15, 2020

In the latest twist of a controversial day, two players - one of them a reigning Wimbledon champion - were revealed to have tested positive for banned substances towards the end of last season. Later in the day, Farah released a statement explaining that he had been informed by the International Tennis Federation that he had failed a drug test on October 17 of past year.

In 2018, the Colombian Olympic Committee warned its athletes about the presence of Boldenone in beef.

Farah had withdrawn from the Australian Open earlier on Tuesday, for what tournament organisers initially described as "personal reasons".

Positive tests for Non-Specified Substances carry a mandatory Provisional Suspension.

The player said he is going through "the saddest moment in his life", blaming Colombian meat for the failed test.

"I'm sure that's what generated the result from the test in question", said Farah. And I was also tested at least 15 other times randomly in the global circuit throughout the year with the same negative result.

He and fellow Colombian Juan Sebastian Cabal won the Wimbledon and US Opens doubles titles a year ago.

Together with his partner Juan Sebastian Cabal, Farah won back-to-back Grand Slams past year, becoming national heroes.

'I will work harder than ever to return to the courts in the shortest time possible'.

The 24-year-old world number 78's sample showed traces of Ligandrol and Stanozolol.

Jarry claims not to have "intentionally" taken any banned substance during his career, saying, "It strongly looks like a cross-contamination case".

Jarry was beaten in Australian Open qualifying on Sunday (January 12) and said he and his legal team will be "working strongly" to prove his innocence and will fully cooperate with the ITF.

The second player - Chile's Nicolas Jarry - stood as high as No 38 in the singles rankings last July, so these are both significant names.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER