Canada mulls paying Harry, Meghan security costs

Lawrence Kim
January 15, 2020

Meghan and Harry's decision left senior royals "hurt" and "deeply disappointed", an insider told PEOPLE.

Buckingham Palace has revealed why Meghan Markle made a decision to skip the Megxit summit. The only details made public so far are that the couple have been given the go-ahead for a period of transition, living partly in the United Kingdom and partly in Canada, and that it is accepted they will no longer be full-time working members of the royal family.

Following the couple's shocking announcement, Queen Elizabeth II organised an emergency meeting with Prince Charles, Harry and his older brother Prince William. "We intend to step back as "senior" members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen".

"If you're looking for a job, we have a new crown for you", read one ad that the fast-food empire started circulating amid Megxit.

The meeting, which lasted two-and-a-half hours, was held in the Queen's country home in Sandringham, Norfolk. At present, the Metropolitan police provides round-the-clock armed protection.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there are "discussions going on" as to whether his country will cover security costs for Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle (pictured November 2017) as they split their time between Canada and Britain.

He was also asked if Canada would cover their security costs, and he responded, "That is part of the reflection that needs to be had, and there are discussions going on".

Let's just hope they're all able to come to a final decision they are happy about!

"I think there would have been very serious concern at Sandringham amongst some members of the royal family and their officials about who also might be on the other end of that line, or if that conversation might have been recorded", Berthelsen said during an interview with CTV News Channel Tuesday.

It is not known if Prince Charles, who is understood to fund the couple out of his private investments as well as from his Duchy of Cornwall trust, will offer to pay their security costs. "We are obviously supportive of their reflections, but have responsibilities in that as well".

But they want to make 2020 a transition year to carve out their new role and launch their new Sussex Royal charitable entity and seek to raise their own sources of income.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER