At least six dead after sinkhole in China swallows bus and pedestrians

Elias Hubbard
January 14, 2020

An enormous sinkhole swallowed a bus and pedestrians in northwest China, sparking an explosion, killing six people and leaving four more missing, state media said Tuesday.

This photo taken on January 13, 2020 shows Chinese rescuers watching as a vehicle is lifted out after a road collapse in Xining in China's northwestern Qinghai province.

Several people disappeared into the sinkhole as it spread, including what appeared to be a child.

Footage posted online showed the bus tipped halfway into the chasm that had opened up at a bus stop just outside a health clinic.

The 16 injured were taken to hospital and are in a stable condition, Xinhua added, citing a local emergency management official.

Rescue teams are now searching for the 10 passengers still missing and the cause of the accident is still under investigation, according to Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

The cause of the incident remains unclear.

Rescuers watch as a bus is lifted out of a sinkhole in Xining in China's north-western Qinghai province.

Sinkholes in China are often blamed on construction works and the rapid pace of development in the country. The bureau said the bus had been raised from the collapsed 80-square meter (860-square foot) section into which it had fallen.

Seconds later, an explosion could be seen inside the sinkhole, sending a ball of fire above ground, followed by a thick plume of smoke and a few smaller explosions.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER