Saudi gunman tweeted against US before naval base shooting

Elias Hubbard
December 9, 2019

A sailor whose submarine was docked at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, opened fire on three civilian employees Wednesday, killing two before taking his own life.

The agency says it has yet to determine the motive for the shooting spree, but is investigating the shooting as an act of terrorism.

Air Force Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy, who oversees U.S. base security as chief of U.S. Northern Command, has directed domestic bases and units to "immediately assess force protection measures and implement increased random security measures for their facilities", Northcom said in a tweet early Sunday morning.

When asked about the account, Twitter spokeswoman Aly Pavela confirmed the account was suspended and said, "That's all we have to share".

One of the victims of the shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., on December 6, 2019. "I like allies. Saudi Arabia's an ally, but there's something really bad here fundamentally".

"We don't know yet if he was acting alone".

President Donald Trump has also pledged to review foreign military programmes.

He said it had been his son's dream to become a Navy pilot and he had reported to the Pensacola flight school just two weeks ago.

Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike drew a hard line with Saudi Arabia on Sunday as investigators pored over the gunman's past.

Esper said he had also asked the Pentagon to "review what our screening procedures are" before soldiers from other countries come to the USA for training programs he said were "very important to our national security".

The FBI is investigating the incident as an assumed act of terrorism.

The designation "allows us to take advantage of investigative techniques that can help us more quickly identify and then eliminate any additional threats to the rest of our community", she said, adding that there is no evidence of other threats to the community.

The defense secretary, Mark Esper, said he has instructed the United States armed forces to review both security at military bases and screening for foreign soldiers who come to the USA for training.

O'Brien said the Federal Bureau of Investigation has been interviewing other Saudi students.

Rojas stated that Alshamrani's associates are now cooperating with the FBI's investigation, and said that she would remain tight-lipped in order to "control misinformation". "What is unclear is - were they filming it before it began or was it something where they picked up their phones once they saw it unfolding?" he said. "That may be a distinction with or without a difference".

The United States has long had a robust training program for Saudis, providing assistance at home and in the kingdom.

Before the fatal attack, the 21-year-old had not been suspected for any extremist or criminal activity, Saudi authorities said. "I was given every assurance from the ambassador that that would occur".

The AP reported that more than 850 Saudis are among the 5,000 foreign students presently in the USA for military training activities.

A person briefed on the investigation into the incident told The Times that the Saudi national who recorded the incident said that he and two others had coincidentally been there during the shooting and had gotten "caught up in the moment." .

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER