China furious as Trump signs Hong Kong bills

Marco Green
December 2, 2019

The two bills signed by U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday mandate sanctions on Chinese and Hong Kong officials who carry out human rights abuses in Hong Kong, require an annual review of Hong Kong's favourable trade status and prohibit the export to Hong Kong police of certain nonlethal munitions. They also found 44 damaged vehicles.

The Polytechnic University said that it has chose to halt its search after a sweep of the trash-littered campus for a second straight day failed to find anyone left behind.

A male protester had told reporters late Wednesday that he and some 20 others remaining on campus would not surrender.

"We didn't find anyone. No arrests", Chow said Friday. "Our operation objectives are twofold. We insisted on adopting a humane way to solve the crisis", university president Teng Jin-Guang told reporters, saying the next semester would go ahead on time. About 1,100 people were arrested last week, some while trying to escape. "You're seeing not only do our elected politicians want this, but America wants this, and we had to do this". They are also calling for the protection of all British citizens and British National (Overseas) passport holders in the territory.

"The US side ignored facts, turned black to white, and blatantly gave encouragement to violent criminals who smashed and burned, harmed innocent city residents, trampled on the rule of law and endangered social order", the statement said.

Simon Cheng, a Hong Kong citizen had worked for the United Kingdom government for two years. The Chinese foreign ministry said in a statement that the bills will only "strengthen the resolve of the Chinese people, including the Hong Kong people, and raise the sinister intentions and hegemonic nature of the U.S", and promised vague "countermeasures". Only a small portion of the three million eligible applicants have applied for it.

Tang also issued a stern warning about the "heightened risks" of terrorism facing Hong Kong, which used to be hailed as one of the world's safest major cities alongside Singapore, Tokyo and Copenhagen.

He wrote that he had come across about 10 detainees at an interrogation center, who he believed were Hong Kong protesters.

Cheng also said in the post that he was asked to resign from his consulate position and that he is now seeking asylum in Britain.

It was belatedly withdrawn under public pressure, but by then violent clashes between police and protesters had become the norm and the movement had snowballed into wider calls for police accountability and fully free elections.

Some 5,890 people, aged between 11 and 83, have been arrested for a range of crimes including unlawful assembly, possession of weapons and rioting, throughout the movement since June, while more than 2,600 people have been injured in the unrest, including 470 police officers.

Anti-government protests have rocked the former British colony since June, at times forcing businesses, government, schools and even the worldwide airport to close.

Sunday's district council polls delivered a stinging rebuke to the financial hub's pro-Beijing establishment and undermined their argument that a silent majority were exhausted of the almost six months of increasingly violent protests.

Other demonstrations planned over the weekend include a rally by secondary school students, a march to protest against tear gas sprayed near children and a "march of gratitude" where protesters are planning to march to the US consulate.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER