Fears over Ebola resurgence after responders killed in targeted attack

Henrietta Strickland
November 29, 2019

Three health workers fighting to curb the spread of the Ebola virus in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo have been killed and four others critically injured after an attack by armed groups in the restive Ituri province.

The number of cases had been dropping in the yearlong outbreak, the second-worst Ebola epidemic in history.

A local militia known as Mai Mai has repeatedly attacked health facilities because they believe Ebola does not exist, and that the response is a plot to eliminate the local population.

Two members of the vaccination team were killed in Mangina while a third Ebola response worker was killed in Biakato Mines Health Area, reported news agency DPA, citing a spokeswoman for the Congolese Health Ministry.

An outbreak of the much-feared haemorrhagic virus has killed 2,199 in North and South Kivu and Ituri provinces since August 1, 2018, according to the latest official figures. "These attacks are challenging the efforts to date", Muyembe told Reuters.

For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper. This week at least four people were also killed during protests fueled by anger at the perceived failure of the army and United Nations peacekeepers to protect civilians from the Islamist Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

In July, the WHO said the situation there was a "public health emergency of worldwide concern".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER