Juul Stops Sales of Mint-Flavored E-Cigarettes

Henrietta Strickland
November 9, 2019

President Trump said Friday that the White House would soon issue a "very important" proposal on vaping that would include an age limit and a possible ban on flavored products.

Last month, more than 50 health and advocacy groups sent letters to US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and first lady Melania Trump, urging the Trump administration to support a plan that would require e-cigarette companies to take all flavored products off the market, including mint and menthol.

When asked on Friday if the administration was stepping back from restricting flavors, Trump said, "We're talking about the age, we're talking about flavors, we're also talking about keeping people working".

Juul Labs will immediately stop online sales of mint Juulpods and will stop accepting orders for them from retailers, Juul Labs' CEO K.C. Crosthwaite said Thursday.

CNN reached out to FDA for an on-the-record comment about the President's remarks and was not provided one.

Trump's announcement comes on the heels of a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) update that on Thursday reported 39 vaping-related deaths across 24 states, and an additional 2,051 illnesses.

Some state and local governments have already raised the smoking age from 18 to to 21. The company is also being sued by adults and underage Juul users who claim they became addicted to nicotine through the company's products. Nationwide, it would prevent 223,000 deaths among people born between 2000 and 2019. The studies released this week showed that mint was the most popular vaping flavor among many high school students who use e-cigarettes.

In a statement, Juul said that in light of the studies, it would immediately stop accepting orders from retail partners for mint pods in the United States and will cease selling the pods through its website.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER