Searches carried out as part of Lunney abduction investigation

Elias Hubbard
November 8, 2019

Police investigating the abduction and torture of Quinn executive Kevin Lunney have searched nearly 20 homes and businesses across Ireland and England.

Lunney, a senior executive in Quinn Industrial Holdings, was kidnapped and tortured by a gang in September.

Mr Lunney, a 50-year-old father of six, was left with life-changing injuries after being bundled into the boot of a auto outside his Derrylin home on September 17 and subjected to several hours of brutal attack.

He was found over 20 miles away from his home across the border in Co Cavan after being left at a roadside.

The father-of-six had his leg was broken, he was slashed with a knife and doused with bleach in the attack that lasted for about two and a half hours.

As part of their investigation to his false imprisonment and torture, the Gardaí, PSNI and police from Derbyshire Constabulary have begun a series of raids.

This morning gardai were searching five locations in County Cavan, three locations in County Longford and four in Dublin.

They said these are a mixture of domestic dwellings and commercial/business premises.

Prior to Friday, no-one had been arrested, with police on both sides of the border under mounting pressure to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Kevin Lunney was abducted and tortured in September.

There have been scores of incidents, but to date no individuals have been charged.

Police in the border region have given priority to the investigation and the scale of the co-ordinated searches appears to represent a major response.

"The PSNI commissioned a search in England with the support of the police officers there and a report has been that a man has died, which is very regrettable", Hamilton said.

The PSNI's Criminal Investigation Branch is carrying searches in the Derrylin area of Fermanagh.

Meanwhile, the directors of Quinn Industrial Holdings have rejected an offer to meet members of the Quinn family, the Irish News has reported.

The attack was the most serious in a five-year campaign of intimidation targeting the companies and directors that now control the business portfolio which was built up by fallen tycoon Sean Quinn, once Ireland's richest man.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER