New Zealand mosque shooting suspect drops bid to move trial

Elias Hubbard
October 3, 2019

Tarrant, a suspected white supremacist, pleaded not guilty in June to 92 charges against him, including murder and terrorism.

The man accused of murdering 51 worshippers in March's New Zealand mosque attacks has dropped a bid to move his trial from the city where the mass shooting took place.

The High Court convened on Thursday morning - with Tarrant appearing via videolink from jail - only to receive instructions it would not be pursued, and therefore dismissing it.

Brenton Tarrant, charged for murder in relation to the mosque attacks, is seen in the dock during his appearance in the Christchurch District Court.

The Australian man is due to appear via an audio visual link from a room at Auckland's Paremoremo maximum security prison, where he had been held in solitary confinement for nearly six months.

Family and friends of the victims packed the courtroom.

The legal proceedings can not be reported as they are the subject of suppression orders.

On the breakup of proceedings, he began ranting and shouting into the microphone, but as it was set on mute, his efforts weren't heard.

Defence counsel Shane Tait told the court the defendant had removed his change of venue application.

Wasseim al Sati, who was shot with his four-year-old daughter in the attacks, was one of many inside the court room.

"Otherwise I would have ended up travelling every court time", he said.

"It's good now it's going to be held in Christchurch". The trial had been scheduled to begin in May but was postponed to avoid coinciding with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The Australian is next due in court for a callover on 12 December.

Justice Mander denied all media application to record film or photograph during the hearing.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER