Davis Cup: Indo-Pak tie postponed to November after security review

Ruben Hill
August 24, 2019

The dates of the tie will be known by September 9. "After listening to both sides point of view, the ITF Davis Cup Committee made a decision to postpone the tie for nearly two months with Pakistan continuing to have the rights to host the event". The committee concluded that this is an exceptional circumstance while the first priority of the ITF is the safety and security of athletes, officials and spectators.

The International Tennis Federation has chose to postpone India's Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Group I tie against Pakistan to November under 'exceptional circumstance.' ITF in a statement on Thursday said its first priority is the "safety and security of athletes, officials and spectators".

The News has learnt that India was reluctant to send their team to Pakistan under the prevailing situation.

The much-awaited Davis Cup tie between Pakistan and India has been put off for mid-November 2019 instead of September 14-15 following lengthy telephonic meeting between Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) president Salim Saifullah Khan and International Tennis Federation (ITF) president David Haggerty Thursday evening.

Earlier when the match was first announced, The All India Tennis Association (AITA) stated the government had no issues with the players crossing the border for the Asia/Oceania Group 1 tie to be held on September 14 and 15 despite strained relations between the two neighbors. ITF will monitor the security situation in Pakistan and re-examine the situation before the tournament. "Hopefully things will normalise by then", Bhupathi told Hindustan Times.

There has been several mail exchanges between AITA and the ITF in the last 10 days with AITA trying to convince the worldwide body of postponing the tie. "A Nation with Choice of Ground may lose its choice at any time if the Davis Cup Committee considers that it is not possible or practicable for the opposing Nation to reach or play at the venue chosen for the Tie, due to (for example) an incident such as war, political unrest, terrorism or natural disaster", reads the rule 30.2.5. "This will allow us to prepare better", he added.

"It would have been a loss for Pakistan if the tie was moved out, but it stays in Pakistan with a minor delay". It wouldn't be fair for us to ask for a venue change straightaway. "This was one of the options that we, too, proposed". Whereas, if the Indian team travels to Pakistan and beats the hosts, it will be eligible to compete in the Qualifiers in 2020.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article