Autopsies complete on bodies found in northern Manitoba, more details Monday

Elias Hubbard
August 13, 2019

The bodies were also found approximately 5 miles from where police located a burned-out vehicle they believe belonged to the suspects on July 22 and approximately 2,000 miles from where the murders took place in northern British Columbia.

Canadian authorities released a statement on Monday which said that while both individuals were dead for a number of days before they were found, the time and date of their deaths remains unknown.

It's understood two firearms were found alongside the bodies.

Investigators say they're now assessing all the items found in Manitoba along with everything found in relation to the three homicides in better understand what happened.

While on the run, the pair was charged with the second degree murder of university professor Leonard Dyck, 64, and named prime suspects in the killings of Australian backpacker Lucas Fowler, 23, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24. Police discovered Dyck's body four days later close to where the suspect's burning truck had been found.

More details could be released as soon as Monday by RCMP in B.C., Manaigre said, adding it will ultimately be up to Mounties in that province to release any information. The assessment will review all the investigative findings to date, whether it is statements, evidentiary timelines, physical or digital evidence, and the BC RCMP have also have engaged our Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU).

It ended last Wednesday when the fugitives were found dead in thick scrub 1km from the banks of the Nelson River, near Gillam. Officers converged on the area to begin what would be a two-week search.

July 31 - Police announce they have done everything they can and are scaling back the search, although not ending it.

Before their bodies were found, authorities had a new lead after they found a damaged rowboat.

Dyck's body was discovered along a highway pullout two kilometres south of Dease Lake, B.C., on July 19.

Alan Schmegelsky, father of Bryer, spoke to Australia's 60 Minutes about his self-published book, Red Flagged, which explains his son's upbringing and mental health. Later, they said they'd separately found "items directly linked to the suspects" that same day on the shoreline.

By then, McLeod, 19, and Schmegelsky, who would have turned 19 on August 4, had fled from northern British Columbia in a Toyota RAV4 to northern Manitoba.

The teenagers dumped the stolen RAV4 near Gillam on July 22 and apparently trekked 8km east along the Nelson River, or floated in an old row boat, before leaving the river's edge and battling 1km through thick scrub inhabited by blood-sucking deer flies and other bugs, black bears, wolves and wolverines.

Police have declined to disclose how Dyck died, but said Fowler and Deese were shot.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article