China landslide death toll rises to 29 with 22 still missing

Elias Hubbard
July 29, 2019

Search and rescue workers have found 38 bodies from a landslide that struck a village in China last week, with 13 other people still unaccounted for.

State-run local media also report that 15 people have been missing since a wave of mud buried more than 20 houses in the province of Guizhou.

Official news agency Xinhua said last Saturday night that 40 people had been rescued from the site, according to the local emergency rescue command.

Photographs from speak broadcaster CCTV expose rescue staff the usage of diggers to unearth survivors from a tall mound within the village.

Local authorities in Guizhou province told Beijing-based China Daily that the incident occurred in Shuicheng county, Liupanshui.

Two childhood and a mother with a dinky bit one are reportedly amongst the ineffective, nevertheless small print are silent unclear.

A 30 million yuan ($4.35 million) disaster relief fund has been allocated by the ministries of finance and emergency management and will be used to support the search and rescue effort and relocation of victims, as well as other disaster relief work.

Landslides are a frequent danger in rural and mountainous parts of China, particularly after heavy rain.

In August 2017, at least 30 people were killed in two separate landslides in Guizhou province.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER