46 people hospitalized after suspected carbon monoxide leak in Winnipeg hotel

Elias Hubbard
July 11, 2019

Forty six people wound up in hospital as a result of a carbon monoxide gas leak at a Winnipeg Super 8 hotel.

"We can confirm there have been no fatalities, nor any patients requiring intensive care services", Paul Turenne, a spokesperson for the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.

"The vast majority of the patients have already been discharged. No patients have been admitted to hospital at this time", he said in a statement Tuesday evening.

The Brooks family were among dozens of hotel guests and staff members who were taken to hospital Tuesday morning after a leak in the boiler room sent unsafe levels of carbon monoxide into the building.

"Fifteen were considered critical, five were considered unstable, and five were considered stable", he told reporters Tuesday.

Turenne added he does not expect to provide any further updates.

The carbon monoxide leak originated in a boiler room at a Super 8 hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba's capital and largest city.

Emergency workers say 52 people, including staff were evacuated from the hotel. One dog was also removed from the hotel and treated by Winnipeg Animal Services. For it to be detected, one needs a carbon monoxide alarm.

The readings inside the hotel were 385 parts per million, according to the City of Winnipeg. Ten to 20 parts per million is when carbon monoxide becomes risky. "None of the patients were requiring resuscitation, none of them were intubated or anything".

Motel guest Leo Flett was sleeping when ambulances arrived.

Sergiy Bolshakov, of Toronto, was watching TV in his hotel room when a firefighter knocked on the door and told him the building was being evacuated because of an emergency.

"Then the symptoms increase in severity after that and it goes on to include collapsing", Mr. Brglez told reporters Tuesday afternoon, adding that levels of 1,000 to 4,000 could kill an average adult in 30 minutes to an hour.

'It's a huge misfortune that this happened, ' Motel owner Justin Schinkel told CBC at the scene.

They said they didn't hear the alarm go off Tuesday morning because they had the television on quite loud.

"It basically drained the whole West End ... fire stations", Forrest said.

Alex Forrest, president of United Firefighters of Winnipeg Local 867, called the leak a nightmare scenario that could have been a lot worse.

The source of the leak is under investigation.

Manitoba Hydro shut off gas to the building and is working to determine the cause of the leak.

Schinkel said the motel recently had a fire inspection and has never had a gas leak.

"I don't think this is anybody's fault", he said as the family packed up their belongings just before dinner to head to a motel down the street.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article