Stomach bug hits Rafael Nadal's hunt for sixth Madrid title

Ruben Hill
May 9, 2019

Record five-time Madrid Open victor Rafael Nadal pulled out of a media conference on Monday on the eve of his opening match at the tournament due to a stomach bug.

Last year, Nadal was forced to withdraw from the Australian and US Open with knee problems.

Nadal who will face Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime on Wednesday, said in his pre-match press conference that he was looking forward to playing in Madrid again and insisted he was feeling confident, despite his lack of success on clay so far in 2019.

However, Nadal did practice at his scheduled time on Monday, arriving at 2 pm local time with his coach, Carlos Moya. And if he gets back to full fitness, Nadal will now speak to the press on Tuesday.

He had appeared at the tournament site on Sunday to take part in the players' tribute to fellow Spaniard David Ferrer.

"I still have a odd feeling or a not super positive feeling, talking about my body health because, as you know, I have been going through a virus", he said.

"The main thing isn't how I feel about his return, it's how the supporters feel about it and I think it is good news for everyone", he said. It's at a bit more risk of injuries or stuff. But of course, this is a very important tournament for me and I hope to be ready.

"I will try to do my best, look at the positive things and go step by step", he said. I was competitive and I enjoyed the match. "I am happy and I am confident that I made a big improvement", he insisted. I'm feeling better now than then - I'm on the right path.

"This is a very important step for me".

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER