Danny Boyle says script dispute led to Bond exit

Lawrence Kim
March 22, 2019

Director Danny Boyle has finally spoken out after leaving the upcoming 25th James Bond movie over creative differences.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker had in August a year ago dropped out of the project along with his frequent collaborator, screenwriter John Hodge, over "creative difference" with the producers. He was supposed to start shooting in December.

After splitting from the new 007 flick last August, Boyle told Empire in a story published on Thursday that the script he penned with his "Trainspotting" co-writer John Hodge "wasn't finished, but it could have been really good".

On paper, "Eclipse" isn't necessarily a bad title if that's what they decide to go with, as at least it doesn't openly hint at Bond's demise, or another run-in with Blofeld. "So we made a decision to part company". "You have to believe in your process and part of that is the partnership I have with a writer", Boyle said. "It is just a great shame", he added.

Word is Bond 25 is now being referred to as "Eclipse, ' after a recent leak at Mandy.com (a jobs site for actors, crew members and creative professionals) name-dropped 'Eclipse" when referring to Daniel Craig's next outing as 007.

The actor, who will reprise his role as M, said to BBC One's Newsnight: "I don't know the name of the film, I haven't had access to a screenplay yet".

French star Lea Seydoux, who played psychologist Madeleine Swann in Sam Mendes' "Spectre", is also returning. But those rumors are so far unfounded, so we'll just have to wait and see what Fukunaga cooks up when the now untitled sequel hits theaters on April 8, 2020.

Other reports by Click Lancashire

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER